Home > Forum > DIY waxless base

DIY waxless base

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
09 Jul 2012 09:13 #205921 by Big Steve
DIY waxless base was created by Big Steve
Crossposting from TGR thread

I settled on this pattern after several years of experimenting with various bases.  My intention was to mill in a short (ca. 12 inch) base on traditionally cambered skis (Trab Stelvio Light XL) for scooting around on flats, zipping across frozen lakes and to aid in obstacle course exits.  I have 8 touring days on these.  I declare them a 100% success for spring skiing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2012 13:46 #205930 by Jonn-E
Replied by Jonn-E on topic Re: DIY waxless base
Given the gentle rolling nature of the terrain we both found ourselves scooting around on this weekend (and the existence of the Voile Vector BC) I'm really curious how well these performed, say from 5k to Cathedral,? Can you climb uphill at all? Is there a downhill glide penalty?

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
09 Jul 2012 18:39 - 11 Jul 2012 17:46 #205933 by Big Steve
Replied by Big Steve on topic Re: DIY waxless base
Voile Vector BC vs. my DIY bases are apples and oranges.  My DIY bases are very short (12") and negative bases, so they don't have great grip nor do they have any noticeable drag.  And my Trabs are pretty stiff with traditional camber.

I've never skied the Vector BCs, but I've skied on the Karhu Guide (aka Mashus Annum) and I have skied on XC waxless skis for 30 years.  A 2' long positive pattern on a soft ski would probably work fine on the flattish ridge from above Squaw to the start of the way trail to Peggy's, but it would also definitely detrimentally affect glide.  The Karhu Guides were really slow.  I would like to see a pattern like the Vector BC, but short on a ski with more camber underfoot.